How to choose the most effective design for eCommerce?
The best bet to stay competitive as eCommerce design trends evolve is to keep tabs on these changes and get your web store updated. However, to realize what new web design features can be applied to your online shop is not that easy. First off, you should identify the reasons indicating your eCommerce website needs a redesign. Getting to the bottom of the case will help you understand how to improve user experience on the web store and convert visitors into loyal customers at scale.
You should keep in mind though that the one-size-fits-all design solutions to boost your eCommerce store performance can hardly be found. So if you do not have any in-house web design experts at your disposal, you’d rather consult some professional design agency to define the most effective ways to optimize your very online shop.
Best eCommerce design trends to come in 2019
Even if you are not an all-out professional in terms of picking the right design solutions, you have to get some general picture of what’s going to be on tap for eCommerce in 2019. So in this article, we broke down some of the most trending design practices that can enhance your website conversion rates. It is entirely up to you to decide which of them to implement in your own case.
Basically, there are no entirely new design techniques as such that are expected to be popular in 2019. Some of them used to be on top earlier, some were out of fashion in previous years and are gaining traction these days. Either way, you are free to pick only those that will better resonate with your target audience.
1. Layout. There are two main types of layouts for eCommerce design that start scoring points among professionals.
Asymmetric layout with irregular grid patterns. Customers are getting tired of bland and boring grid-based layouts nowadays. On the one hand, a regular grid system spells symmetry and consistency for online visitors. On the other, the neat grids look far too commonplace and can not strike the customer’s eye. Instead, variously broken grids are very eye-catching as their uneven forms and proportions engage more eyeballs, which eventually lead to conversion boost.
Card layout. Designing your eCommerce website by utilizing card UI layouts is a very effective and flexible way to arrange your online merchandise. You can easily group up some visual content like relevant product images with spec and pricing details. Card layouts appear to be very convenient for customers to manage, compare and display them on both desktops and mobile devices.
As you can see, the first trendy layout type for 2019 is seemingly chaotic, however using asymmetric grids has its rationale behind as it attracts more visitors. The card UI design, in its turn, is properly organized but surprisingly actionable as well when it comes to customer engagement. Just make a choice, which one will fit your online store better.
2. Overall design and typography
When speaking about general design tendencies for eCommerce website optimization, there are two approaches worth mentioning.
Flat design. Although the flat design has been in style over the last years, it will be still this wave of popularity in 2019. Minimalistic design is not about just using some primitive solutions since its simplicity means enhancing the usability of your website. It is about creating something simple, albeit efficient for prospective customers when it comes to navigating your eCommerce store.
Flat design usually suggests utilizing vivid typography with distinct fonts, bright color palettes and vibrant images.
Material design. This is quite an opposite design style that makes use of various shadows, hues, color gradients, layers and other graphics objects to enhance the visual constituent of a commercial website. The part of this approach is also known as skeuomorphism and proves to be effective for eCommerce projects. It tries to maximally imitate the real-life world by applying true-looking textures to the important UI elements like CTA buttons, contact forms, product cards and iconography.
At the end of the day, material design largely employs lots of animation and rich graphics, while flat design attracts customers due to its minimalism. Both design trends add much to the website UI aesthetics and can greatly improve the UX of your digital store.
3. Video and Imagery. There are also some changes in presenting visual materials that look set to come next year.
Parallax. This is an enticing scrolling technique enabling front images to move quicker or otherwise different than those on the background, thus giving the impression of immersion and 3D depth. You can leverage the Parallax effect for the sake of UX optimization.
Cinemagraphs and full-page video background. Videos are becoming more and more trending in eCommerce as they highlight the brand value very effectively. Rather than using static images, an exclusive video can attract lots of customers to your website. On top of this, you can streamline your website while adding special videos to each of the items for sale on the list.
Cinemagraph is a kind of micro-animation that got on a loop and placed on the main or a landing page of your eCommerce website. Cinemagraphs along with full-screen videos can liven up the whole UI of a web store and make the prospects stay on your website a little bit longer.
4. Chatbots. AI-driven communication tools and apps are of great help on eCommerce sites to assist customers in finding the best available offers. Today chatbots can interact with online store visitors in quite a meaningful manner while collecting the details on the preferred goods and sharing relevant purchase options. Chatbots will come in handy for newcomers to your eCommerce website as they provide much useful information, which by all means can drastically improve the user experience.
5. Personalization. Adding a personalized touch as you offer goods to your online shoppers can ensure solid customer retention and skyrocket the conversion rates. Some UI elements can be tailored to existing customers preferences in accordance with their account settings, behavior and historical purchase data. Personalization can affect the CX enhancement on some of the following touch points:
– Customer support
– Pricing policies
– Order and shipping customization options
– Exclusive offers and discounts
6. Augmented reality. AR would be a perfect option if you are looking for an unusual way to impress your customers with. This cutting-edge technology enables online shoppers to match virtual objects with true environments in real time. Special AR-driven apps and other software are used to let customers know how your products would fit their homes and consider several options before the final decision. It works well for shoppers especially while selecting new furniture sets that consist of many pieces, or rearranging other things on their domestic premises.
All in all, the upcoming trends for an eCommerce website in 2019 will surely get the best out of today’s popular UI/UX design practices. The only thing you should do is to pick those that will suit your business needs and expectations.
If you are still unsure about the exact design solutions for your eCommerce store, we can provide the actionable pieces of advice for you to make the right choice. Feel free to contact us right away to get some.